The Post Baccalaureate (Post Bacc) Training Program for the Morehouse College Institute for Cultully Relevant Computing Lab (CRCL) provides a stipend and formal training for recent STEM, education or social science graduates. The goal is to facilitate these students’ acceptance into a graduate program in STEM-based education research while strengthening their background in broadening participation research.
The components of the Post Bacc Mentoring Program include:
- Working with the Post Bacc research fellow to develop an Individual Development Plan, including graduate school applications and deadlines.
- Consult with CRCL faculty on how to identify funding opportunities for graduate school and write competitive proposals to support graduate education.
- Participate in online or conference-based seminars and workshops on graduate school admittance.
- Conduct research under the direct supervision of a faculty member or postdoctoral fellow.
- Participate in one or more of the Institute’s webinar series.
- Network with scholars in CRCL through the many knowledge transfer tools including networking with the graduate students that are part of the CRCL.
- Participation in PI research meetings (based on project needs), in which members will be expected to present their research. Feedback and coaching will be given to help all members develop their communication and presentation skills.
- Participate in selective CRCL internal administrative meetings to learn the administrative side of a large research institute.
- Work with undergraduate research assistants.
- Co-authoring and writing manuscripts for peer-review journals.
- Submit articles to the CRCL quarterly newsletter.
The success of the training plan is assessed based on the number of professional presentations at meetings and papers published. As well as tracking the progress of the Post Bacc fellow through his or her Individual Development Plan; interviews of the Post Bacc fellow’s progress toward his or her acceptance into a graduate school; and enrollment in a graduate program with an emphasis on STEM education.
Fill out the Post Bacc Application Form if you are interested in being apart of this program.